Tips For Comparing Plans
How can I compare plans in my area and determine what’s best for me?
Start by using the Medicare Plan Finder.
What to consider when comparing Medicare drug coverage [PDF]:
Check the Medicare quality ratings [PDF].
Other questions to ask when comparing Medicare drug coverage:
- Does the plan cover all the medications I am taking?
- Does the plan cover the most important medications I take? (Ask your doctor.)
- If the plan does not cover a medication I take, does it cover one that will work for me? (Ask your doctor.)
- Does the plan require that I get special permission before it will cover the medication I need (such as prior authorization or step-therapy)?
- How much will I pay at the pharmacy (copayments or coinsurance) for each drug I need? (Certain drugs may have high coinsurance.)
- If a drug I take has a very high coinsurance, is there a drug I can take that will cost me less? (Ask your doctor.)
- How much will I pay in monthly premiums and annual deductible?
- Can I fill my prescriptions at the pharmacies I use regularly?
- Can I fill my prescriptions when I travel?
- What happens if I go to pharmacies that are not in the network?
- Can I get prescriptions by mail order?
Coordinating with your other benefits:
- Will the Medicare drug plan work with my current drug coverage?